For the longest time I’ve slacked about disabling Windows Instant Messenger from loading when XP boots. Today I finally stopped slacking and found the necessary Registry tweaks to make the little b*stard stop loading at boot.
Fix: Using Regedit add the following Registry key & reboot.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Launch regedit Start -> run type regedit
- Drill down to the Microsoft Folder found within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPolicies
- Create a Messenger folder if one does not already exist (Right click in right panel and select New Key)
- Create a Client folder if one does not already exist (Right click in right panel and select New Key)
- Right click right panel and select New -> DWORD and name it PreventRun
- Right click PreventRun and modify it setting it to 1
- Reboot Windows