Recently my girlfriends laptop has been unable to reach the internet via wireless. The symptoms are pretty eratic and hard to tie down. Initially web sites will load but after a couple minutes all network activity will drop. The interesting piece is that the wireless signal and all monitoring details show as good.
Symptom: All wireless network packets are dropped 1 minute after connecting to wireless access point
Wifi Card: Intel Wireless Card 3945ABG
Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron E1505
Driver Version: 22.214.171.124 (9/26/2007, Intel)
Fix: Within the network adapters properties force the wireless card to only use 802.11G.
Update Wifi Properties
- Right click my computer and select Manage
- Select Device Manager and expand the Network section
- Right click the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless… adapter and select Properties
- On the Advanced tab scroll through the list of configuration options and select Wireless Mode
- Uncheck “use default value” and then select your wireless type ie. 802.11G etc.
- Click Ok and exit the computer management interface.