After receiving a new Dell XPS 8500 I ran into an issue which seems to be widespread with newly imaged desktops.
System Specs: Intel i7 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, 2TB Hybrid SATA (32GB SSD)
Symptom: After going through the initial configuration the workstation shuts off without warning. Upon reboot it hangs at the Dell logo.
- Reboot the computer and hit F2 to launch the bios configuration screen.
- Select the Advanced menu [Hit Enter]
- Select Onboard Device Configuration [Hit Enter]
- Select SATA Mode [Hit Enter]
- From the pull down menu change the setting from RAID to AHCI
- Hit F10 and select Yes [Hit Enter]
The system will reboot and attempt to boot into Windows. It will then fail to load the configuration and will reboot.
7. Hit F2 when the Dell logo is shown, and navigate back into
Advanced -> Onboard Device Configuration -> SATA and change the SATA mode back to RAID. Save your settings (hit F10) and reboot. The system should now boot into Windows 8.