Here are the steps required to manually initiate a snapmirror relationship between a NetApp 7-Mode and a Cluster-Mode
7-Mode to Cluster Mode Version Requirements
Source Filer: 8.x 7-Mode and Higher
Dest. Filer: 8.2.x and Higher
7-Mode Source Filer Steps
– Allow destination filer either within snapmirror.allow file or within options snapmirror.access host =
Cluster-Mode Destination Filer Steps
– Create a new transition Lif assigned to a Node which is set to intercluster for both the Role and the Firewall Policy.
– Create a vserver peer transition relationship between the source and destination filer and associate it to the transition lif
– Create a new destination volume that is the same size or bigger than the source volume. Make sure to specify the type of the volume as DP (data protection)
– Create the new snapmirror relationship with type set to TDP
– Initialize the mirror using snapmirror initialize followed by the destination path
Optionally you can create a snapmirror policy that is applied to any new transition snapmirror relationships to ensure consistency when cutting over volumes in bulk.